Critical Christian
keyword search
Home Page
Book: The Effective Pastor
Memorials & Celebrations
Personal Matters
Williams Connections
Methodist Connections
Betsy's Gallery
Electronic Congregation
Lent 2011 and 2012
Reviews 2011 Forward
Two Blossoms
Report on the Class of 1953 Mini

Report on the Class of 1953 Mini-Reunion, October 2010

    Well, you should have been there.  The weather cooperated, the football team won, and the company was mellower than Chateau Mouton-Rothschild 1955 (yeah, I looked it up: I wouldn't know Rothschild from Gallo).  Those present for some or all of the festivities were: John Allan, Dudley Baker, John and Sandy Beard, Gordon and Inge Canning, Peter and Susan Connolly, Dave Doheny, Pete and Lucy Fetterolf, Walter and Joy Flaherty, Don and Connie Goldstein, Dan and Marge Harkins, Bob and Barbara Howard, Stu Jay, Boine Johnson and Kathleen Piaggesi, Derry and Tess Kruse, Mike Lazor, Fritz Liss, Todd and Happy Mauck, Tiger and Daphne McGill, Harry and Sally Molwitz, Charlie and Anne Mott, Art and Judy Murray, Hank and Peggy Norwood, Tim and Maren Robinson, Hank and Sally Schreier, Pete Sterling, Jim and Sharon Tompkins, and Barbara Weedon.

    We first gathered at the Taconic Golf Club House, slightly to the south and east of Weston Field.  Cocktails preceded a sumptuous buffet with lemon cake for dessert. Pete Connolly led the singing of "Yard by Yard."  Todd Mauck made the announcements and collected the checks, while several others, as is the class's custom, chimed in with remembrances and proposals, the enumeration of which (some, anyway) you will find below.

    The college, represented by Alumni Development Rep Chris Robare, watched over us to make sure we were settled and comfortable.  There were, no fault of Chris, two glitches.  The Saturday morning alumni seminar was scratched.  A small tent with food from and served by the college food service provided  us with hot dogs, hamburgers, fruit, sweets, and beverage. 

    In the absence of a Saturday morning seminar, Barbara and I drove to the top of Mt. Greylock.  Lucy Fetterolf did likewise in the afternoon.  The park attendant at the summit was shivering, explaining that the wind chill factor made it 20 degrees Fahrenheit.  It was crisp and clear.  I walked quickly past the tower to the eastern slope, up which in ancient memory the Class of 1953 climbed in September 1949.  Couldn't and wouldn't do it today!

    The football game lived up to its hype... after the first quarter drudgery of a defensive standoff.  In the middle of the second quarter Williams scored two quick touchdowns, the same receiver going eighty yards each time on a "fly" pattern.  The Williams kicking game was dreadful: two missed extra points and two blocked punts.  Still the purple went to the halftime 15-0 over the Bantams from Hartford, thanks to a surprising (to me, anyway) field goal.  The second half was evenly played.  Neither team had much of a rushing game.  Trinity's passing attack took advantage of Williams' right corner and scored three times; but only after the Ephs had scored two more times.  As the clock ran down to the closing seconds of the game Trinity got within inches of scoring another touchdown and, had they succeeded in a two point conversion, tying the game.  But Williams prevailed.  

    Saturday night the class reassembled at the home of Tiger and Daphne McGill along Rte 43 in South Williamstown.  Ever the gracious and generous hosts, the McGills provided cocktails, served, I was told, by a college career counselor.  The forty-five of us sat down to a buffet dinner in four different corners of the hilltop house. 

After a dessert of apple crisp and ice cream, the class chaplain ascended the pulpit (second floor balcony), offered a two minute sermon and a one minute prayer as we remembered those who were and had been very much in our thoughts all weekend: Joan (and John) Dighton, at Bay State Hospital in Springfield where Joan had been taken following a stroke, and the prognosis was very poor; Jane Truettner, presently in hospice care at home with Jim, who had phoned Tiger to alert him and us to Jane's terminal illness; Jeanne Lazor, whose diminished mental capacity no longer permitted her to travel with Mike to our reunions; Bob Ouchterloney, recently in and out of and in the hospital with an infection endangering his heart; Steve Klein, whose peripheral neuropathy continues to limit his mobility, even as it does not, will not, and cannot curtail his strong and mirthful spirit; and Fred Preston, who intended to attend the reunion, but had a fall at Little Squam Lake, was bruised but not broken, and needed a few day's rest, on the advice of nurse Granthia. 

    Reminders of our mortality increase as we near, reach, and surpass the eighth decade.  Of course, we want more.

    Speaking of which, "more," the dates of our 2011 mini-reunion were announced: October 7 - 9.

< Back to Williams Connections Archive

1990 - 2017 Bob Howard